“I went from sad and tired, with thinning hair and constant chocolate cravings to energetic, and mentally alert, with a healthy gut. I finally felt like myself again. I didn’t have to worry about my health anymore. Now I can just live life!”
Hi, I’m Dr. Michael Ruscio. I am a doctor, researcher, author, and health enthusiast. I practice Functional Medicine with an emphasis on natural and nutritional solutions. I give smart, busy people who are suffering from symptoms of chronic illness simple steps to get better, and get on with life.
After years of an active life as a healthy athlete, I suddenly found I was tired, depressed, and my digestion was off. I couldn’t sleep at night. My hair was thinning and I had no libido. I needed multiple naps to get through a day and experienced brain fog from eating almost anything. I was feeling depressed and woke up at 3 a.m. with insomnia only remedied by chocolate. I went to a few doctors and disappointingly, all my labs tests came back normal. I was told there was nothing wrong with me, but I knew something was very wrong.
I read everything I could on the internet and proceeded to waste a ton of money on herbs, vitamins and supplements in attempts at treating my symptoms. I eventually found Functional Medicine and figured out that a gut infection was at the root of all my problems. I learned how to heal my gut, rebalance my hormones, and get my health back.
Finally I started to feel like myself again;
- Now I can work all day with great stamina and focus and then come home and be fun and energetic with my family and friends.
- I can eat food without getting brain fog and I can sleep at night!
- I am happy all the time and don’t have to worry about my health anymore.
- I enjoy life!
After this experience I knew there were some serious limits of conventional medicine and wanted to offer my patients the same type of life-changing medicine that helped me. My own healing experience has influenced the care model that I’ve perfected through years of clinical practice. This model has helped me and my patients finally understand and overcome their health challenges.
Less Complex, Natural Health Strategies
If you’re like many of my patients and readers, you feel overwhelmed with the vast array of information available on the internet and glad to have a doctor who cuts to the bottom line. I provide succinct, proven, targeted advice to take you from ill to well with the least cost, least time, and least effort possible – so you can feel like yourself again.
I apply my PROVE method to identify proven, effective solutions. My root-cause approach aims to help my patients and readers:
- Heal with proven, practical, paleo and ancestral health principles (diet and lifestyle)
- Discover the most effective, budget friendly natural medicines (herbs, vitamins and probiotics with limited pharmaceuticals)
- Use only the most essential lab testing (to identify the cause of disease rather than to name a disease)
Getting healthy shouldn’t take over your life – it should let you get back to your life.
Avoid wasting time on solutions that are unproven, impractical, and costly. Health should be easy-to-understand, based on proven science, and be effective and affordable. I want you to feel amazingly energetic, happy, sexy, fit and fun.
What I Am Doing
I am writing a book on digestive and thyroid disorders. I am very interested in improving digestive treatments, because your gut is crucial for overall health. Due to this, I am performing a clinical trial in my office. This trial is for the treatment of SIBO (a common cause of IBS; gas, bloating, diarrhea/constipation and abdominal pain). We are hoping the results will enhance current treatment. Also, I periodically compile what I have learned and teach this to doctors and other healthcare professionals.
I have lectured at UC Berkeley, The Ancestral Health Symposium, and PaleoFx and appeared as a guest on Kron4 News and popular podcasts including Robb Wolf, Jimmy Moore, and Sean Croxton’s shows.
My Guiding Principle
We are designed to be healthy. To be healthy we must remove obstacles that prevent healing and provide the body an environment that encourages health.
My Training and Credentials
- Functional Medicine Practitioner
- Lead researcher in current IBS study
- Post-doctoral continuing education provider
- Doctor of Chiropractic – Life Chiropractic College West
- University of Massachusetts – B.S. Exercise Kinesiology
- Post-doctoral Functional Medicine study with educational bodies such as; The National College of Naturopathic Medicine, The Institute of Functional Medicine, The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Kalish Research, and Defeat Autism Now.